Fertour Office: Mostecká 3, Prague 1

Phone: +420 - 257 530 232,  Fax: +420 - 257 531 570

Mobil:   +420 - 602 - 379 415

E-mail:  info@fertour-prague.com

Central Bohemia

  • Březnice

    A late Gothic castle, which was preceded by a fortified settlement from the 13th century, was rebuilt after 1548 by Jiří of Lokšany and changed into a Renaissance manor, extended between 1625 and 1632. It is situated in a park with exotic tree species and a small pond. Inside there is the outstanding Lokšanská library with a painted beam ceiling, wall paintings and period cabinets. Other noteworthy interior space is a beautiful hall with a panel ceiling.
  • Český Šternberk

    This Early Gothic castle, founded around 1240 belongs to historical buildings, which from the time of their origin up to the present, have been named after and belonged to members of a single lineage. Český Šternberk was conquered by the soldiers of Jiří of Poděbrady in 1467. The ruined castle was later returned to the aristocracy of Štenberk and they extended it in an ostentatious reconstruction securing the castle with powerful fortification. The last significant adaptations took place in the second half of 17th century, when the original broken silhouette nearly disappeared.

  • Mělník

    Above the confluence of the Elbe and Vltava Rivers there was a Slavonic fortified settlement as early as the 9th century. Later on, it was replaced by an early medieval castle. In 1274 the settlement situated under the castle was elevated to the status of a town by Přemysl Otakar II. Soon after that Mělník was determined to be the dowry town of the Czech queens. Although the castle was expanded at least twice in the 15th century, Zdislav Berka of Dubé decided to further reconstruct it in 1553. The family of Lobkowic continued rebuilding the castle at the end of the 16th century. Also the Family of Cernin went on reconstructing the place a century later, and in the second half of the 18th century the manor's interior was refashioned again by the Lobkowic Family owning the place at present. In the publicly accessible interiors of the manor it is possible to behold art collections of the Mělník stem of the Lobkowic family, including a picture gallery of a high quality. Given the fact that Mělník has been the centre of the Czech wine production since the times of Charles IV, this manor is recommended to those who are lovers of this beverage.

  • Orlík

    The castle was established around the middle of the 13th century. At first it consisted of a rather small palace protected from the access side by walls and three defensive towers. The fire, which destroyed Orlík in 1508 and the subsequent emancipation of the castle from feudal obligations, brought about an extensive Late Gothic reconstruction. Just before 1588 the Italian master Augustin performed a Renaissance adaptation of castle. The importance of Orlík was strengthened considerably at the beginning of the 19th century when Count Karl Swarzenberg chose it as his residence (his descendant of the same name is the present owner of the castle). After the fire 1802, which disturbed and delayed the works upon the ongoing radical reconstruction of the castle designed by K.J.Lang, another floor was added to the manor. It is interesting that this reconstruction already gave the manor the Romantic Gothic style, which was further emphasized by the renovation of the facades 1860 - 1862.

  • Křivoklát

    The Křivoklát castle is one of the oldest and most significant castles built by the Czech dukes and kings, the origin of which dates back to the 12th century. Under the rule of Přemysl Otakar II and Wenceslas II the foundation to this spacious and stately regal castle was laid. It was substantially rebuilt by Wenceslas IV and later finished by Václav Jagelonský: Křivoklát was seriously damaged by fire several times. It became to be used as a prison and its significance decreased rapidly. In the 19th century the Fürstenberks had the castle restored in the Romantic style.

  • Konopiště

    A predecessor to the present manor was a castle of the Lords of Benešov in the 14th century, refashioned under the Šternberks in the Late Gothic style, and, at the start of the 17th century, in the Late Renaissance style. In the first half of the 18th century the extensive baroque modifications of the manor structure took place under the Vrtba House authority, namely on the manor's southern section. In 1887 a successor to the Austro-Hungarian throne, František Ferdinand d'Este, became the owner of Konopiště, and in 1889 - 1894 he had an extensive restoration performed on the manor - the work being connected with transformations into Gothic forms. The building plans were drafted by the Czech architect, J. Mocker, who participated with J. Schmoranz in designing adjustments to the interior, afterwards enriched with quality furnishings by the archduke Ferdinand.

  • Karlštejn

    The castle, exceptional even among the Czech castles, not only for its historical significance but also due to its robust structure and architecture. It was established by the Czech and Roman King Charles IV in 1348. He assigned the castle with the role of the treasury for the coronation insignia and the most valuable relics of the Holy Roman Empire. The basic construction of the Karlštejn castle took more than seven years, and the internal adjustments of the Chapel of St.Cross were prolonged until 1365. The castle fortification guaranteed to resist any attacks in its time. It was "tested" in 1422 when Karlštejn was besieged by Prague citizens. By the decree of the Caesar Rudolf II the damaged castle buildings were repaired at the close of the 16th century. However, in spite of that a gradual deterioration of Karštejn began at that time. In 1619 the coronation jewels together with the archives were taken away to Prague, in 1620 a garrison surrendered the castle to the army of Ferdinand II without a fight and, in 1648, the castle was conquered by the Swedes. The Castle's deterioration continued throughout the 18th century, but the Hapsburg rulers were aware of the historical significance of Karlštejn as well. Therefore the Caesar Franz II and his son Ferdinand had the most seriously damaged parts of the castle repaired. After 1853 the supervision of this work was taken over by a newly established Central Monument Protection Commission residing in Vienna. Karlštejn gained its present appearance under the purist adjustment works in 1887 - 1899 carried out to the designs of professor Friedrich Schmidt by the architect Josef Mocker. The individual parts of the castle are situated at various height levels, which fact displays their significance. The castle is dominated by a massive prismatic-shaped tower, called the Great Tower. Its ground plan consists of sides of 25 and 17 meters. The average wall thickness is 4 meters, reaching over 6 meters on the northern side. The main space of this tower and the whole castle is occupied by the Chapel of St.Cross. Along the tower part of its walls runs a strip of semiprecious stones embedded in gilded stucco. The vault fronts contain panels created largely by Master Theodorik. These are Gothic paintings of the world repute. The unique collection of about 127 paintings represents "the entire army of heavens", ideal or approximate portraits of the saints, holy popes and bishops, the Knights of the Theban League, holy rules and church teachers. These works were designed and predominantly painted by Master Theodorik, "the Royal Court painter" of Charles IV. The chapel decoration is enriched by mural paintings. The vaulting is entirely gilded and covered with small pieces of glass, which represent a starry sky. In connection with this exceptional space, though, we must add that the access to the Chapel of St. Cross is strictly supervised and that this interior is visited yearly by only a small percentage of the total number of the castle visitors.