The castle served as a residential palace with a lofty Holy Trinity chapel of a high architectonic value.
There were two entrance gates on the east and west sides. The Archbishop of Prague, Arnošt of Pardubice, proceeded with the first reconstruction
of the castle in the middle of the 14th century. The Renaissance style appeared between 1547 and 1560. At that time, the architect Agostino Galli, hired by Jan jr.
of Lobkovice, built the bishop's palace, had the ground in the courtyard flattened, and, above all, built new castle buildings on the peripheral walls.
A south wing with a peristyle was attached to these constructions in the beginning of the 17th century.
At the end of the 19th century the castle was further restored after the designs of the Czech architect Josef Schultz.
Over the entire Renaissance period a town of the same name was gradually developing together with the castle.
The town's square, as well as the adjacent streets, is adorned with Renaissance and baroque houses.
Beside the Town Hall, there is an Archdeacon's palace and opposite it you can find St. Peter's and Paul's Church with three baroque altars.